While eye tests are covered by Medicare*, glasses and contact lenses generally aren't. Your Extras Product Sheet will tell you how much you can claim towards glasses (frames and lenses) or contact lenses.
If you've already claimed for optical this calendar year, you can check how much of your annual limits you have left. Log on to Online Member Services then go to Claims and Benefit > Benefit Usage. You can also check your usage through our app.
*Tests are bulk billed.
Teachers Health Centres
- no gap frame and lens packages1
- 50% off optical frames2
- 25% off^ sunglasses frames and contact lenses3
- Complimentary retinal and OCT scans4.
1 No gap services subject to your level of Extras cover and available benefits
2 Up to a maximum discount of $250 (including GST), frames must be purchased with prescription lenses
3 Up to a maximum discount of $250 (including GST)
4 When you have an eye test at a Teachers Health Centre
Our optical network
If you can't get to a Teachers Health Centre, there are plenty of other optometrists in our network where you can access one of the following offers:
- No gap frame and lens packages
- 50% off a second pair of optical frames* (from any frame range on display** and any lens design)^
- Free second pair of glasses from a selected frame range (SV 1.5 hard coat – scratch resistant with UV protection)^
- Free Plano Cancer Council sunglasses (or equivalent) from a selected range^
*Discount is applied to the lower priced pair.
**Some brand exclusions apply due to frame licence agreements - see in store for details.
^Available when purchasing full priced frames.
Other member discounts include 15% off contact lenses.
You can claim for services included on your cover through non-network providers too. We'll pay for services from qualified and registered providers in a private practice. Luckily most providers meet this description, but if you're not sure you can ask them if they're a "recognised provider" with Teachers Health.