At Teachers Health, we get what it means to work in education. You’re super busy. You’re positively shaping lives. And you’re doing it for the love of the job. So, it’s more important than ever that your health insurance works hard to look after you.
That’s what we’re here for. We started back in 1954, established by the NSW Teachers Federation to provide cost-effective private health insurance exclusively for members of the education industry and their families. We’ve grown a bit since our foundation membership of 2,600 people and today Teachers Health looks after over 320,000 teachers, education staff and their families around Australia.
While we’ve grown, our mission to inspire and support eligible members to achieve the best possible health outcomes hasn’t changed. Today those members include teachers and administration and support staff working in public, private and independent primary and secondary school, as well as tertiary institutions.
We’re one big family here so membership is also open to families of those in the education community – current (or former) spouse/partner, dependant children, adult children (or their partner or dependant child), siblings (or their partners or dependant children), parents and grandchildren. Read more about eligibility here.
At Teachers Health, we’re proud to be:
- Australia’s largest industry-based health fund
- a member of Members Own Health Funds
- an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality
- Private Health Insurer of the Year 2015, 2013 (Roy Morgan Research Customer Satisfaction Awards).
At Teachers Health, we focus on our members and our community. We’re not-for-profit which means we can focus on the good stuff – like sponsorships, scholarships, and making sure our members get the best possible value – instead of payouts for shareholders. We’re here to support and inspire the health and wellbeing of you and your family, so you can get on with leading the life you love. To put it simply, we put people before profits.
Because of this approach we’re:
- committed to our members and today look after over 320,000 teachers, education staff and their families around Australia
- returning more – we paid almost 90% in benefits for every dollar placed with us by members in the last financial year
- lucky to have some of the most loyal members in the industry (with an industry leading retention rate of over 96%)
- keeping our management expenses low (below the industry average of 8.8% at 6.9% in the last financial year)
- part of a strong community – our Business Development Officers visited over 1,900 schools and education workplaces across the country last year.
Members Own Health Funds
Teachers Health is proud to be a founding member of Members Own Health Funds – a collective of like-minded funds created in 2014 to help communicate the benefits of being with not-for-profit and mutual health funds.
There are 18 Members Own health insurers – all Australian not-for-profit and mutual health funds – who share the same belief in putting members and their wellbeing ahead of profits.
For more information, visit membersown.com.au