A message from our CEO
Once again, COVID-19 is disrupting life across Australia, and once again the education community has come together to support students and their families.
Please know that we’re mindful of the challenges school staff and their families may be experiencing. While we’re all working remotely, we’re still here for you – as your health fund we’ll do everything we can to support you.
Here you’ll find information to help you manage your health, and your membership, during these difficult times.
Teachers Health resources
See updates on our COVID-19 support measures and how to get in touch about COVID-19-related issues:
We fully support the drive by education unions to enable school staff to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Below you’ll find links to information on priority vaccination and general COVID-19 resources for our states and territories:
Calling for more affordable healthcare
On the subject of worthy causes, we’re also getting behind Private Healthcare Australia’s More Affordable Health campaign.
In Australia we pay at least 30% more for medical devices compared to other countries. And this is one of the biggest drivers behind private health insurance premium increases.
The campaign aims to make health insurance more affordable by changing the way medical devices are priced in Australia.
Thanks to our school staff
Lastly, I want to acknowledge the dedication of all school staff who are currently in lockdown. Thank you for your tireless efforts in educating and nurturing our kids in such challenging circumstances.
We’ll keep these pages updated so you can access the latest information at any time.
All the best from the Teachers Health family to yours.
CEO, Teachers Health Group
Physical and mental health support
At the start of the pandemic, we introduced the following measures – they’ve now been extended to 31 December 2021:
- Telehealth – We’ve always paid benefits towards telepsychology under Extras cover. We’ve since extended this to a wider range of services, including physio, chiro and speech therapy.
- Mental Wellness Program – This phone-based program is always available to eligible members^ with Hospital cover via Teachers Healthcare Services.
- Cover for COVID-19 – Members on all levels of Hospital cover are covered for COVID-19 admissions, including cover for any adverse reaction or side-effect to a COVID-19 vaccine which requires admission to hospital. This is especially relevant for members on our Basic Plus products StarterPak, Basic Hospital and Mid Hospital (who wouldn’t have had full cover for COVID-19 admissions otherwise).
- New Family Program – our New Family Program remains open to more members with Hospital cover. This is to help families who may struggle to access standard ante and postnatal services during COVID-19.
More on mental health support during COVID-19
^This program is brought to members through Teachers Healthcare Services, an initiative of Teachers Health to support members’ health and wellbeing through quality, evidence-based health management programs and services. To be eligible for this program you must be a member of Teachers Health and have Hospital cover with all relevant waiting periods served. Additional eligibility criteria may apply. Eligible members are connected with a dedicated Teachers Healthcare Services care coordinator who supports them on their personal journey.
Hospital admissions during COVID-19
If you have surgery scheduled over the coming weeks, your surgeon/hospital should contact you if the outbreak will impact the timing of your treatment.
Need to talk to us urgently about a hospital admission? We’ve created a fast-track process for members with COVID-19-related questions - please get in touch here
This situation is a timely reminder that Hospital cover has two key functions – taking the pressure off the public system and enabling those with private health cover to get treated as soon as possible.
Financial hardship relief
We’re here to help if you’re experiencing financial stress due to the lockdowns. Here are two ways we’ve been supporting members:
- Financial hardship suspension – If you’re having financial difficulties, you can apply to suspend your membership.
- Overseas travel suspension – We’ve relaxed the rules on suspension to better support members who suspended their cover and are stuck overseas. This measure is in place until the COVID-19 pandemic has passed.
Priority vaccination for school staff
We fully support the drive by education unions to prioritise vaccinations for all school staff who want to get vaccinated. While (as of 23 July 2021), anyone aged 40+ can already have their choice of jab, school staff (of any age) who meet the eligibility criteria below can now book their vaccinations* via the government’s Vaccine Eligibility Checker.
Eligibility extends to school staff working in:
- schools for specific purposes (SSPs)
- juvenile justice centres (education and training units)
- hospital schools
- school support classes (for students with support needs).
- all Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander school staff aged 16+.
*Select 'yes' to the question 'Do you provide paid or unpaid health, aged or disability care, support or services?'.
National COVID-19 links
Some of the resources our members have used to work through tough times.
Find out what’s happening at our six centres.