Updated Hospital Guide
Finding out you need hospital treatment can be stressful. You might be worried about your health. You might be concerned about money. And you might also be confused by the healthcare system and what to do next. You’re not alone.
We've got your back
The good news is that as a Teachers Health member, we’ve got your back. We’re here to help you understand how your hospital cover can support you, so you can make informed decisions about your healthcare.
To get you started, we’ve updated our Hospital Guide – including all the ins and outs of what you can expect both practically and financially when being admitted to hospital.
Our Hospital Guide will help you to:
- get the most from your Teachers Health Hospital cover
- understand and control your costs
- be an active participant in your healthcare
- know what to ask, and when
- deal with the admin.
So you can focus on the important bit – your health.
Understanding your Hospital cover
We know that Hospital cover can be confusing, so we’ve broken the guide down into the basics – step-by-step – to help you to understand and plan for a hospital admission. It includes:
- understanding what you’re covered for (those all-important ‘covered’, ‘restricted’ and ‘excluded’ terms, plus ‘waiting periods’ and ‘pre-existing conditions’)
- knowing what you can and can’t claim for
- choosing a doctor and hospital for your treatment – including getting to the bottom of doctors’ fees and understanding Access Gap Cover (and importantly, how it can help you save money)
- preparing for a hospital stay – including a checklist of what you might need to pack and pre-admission questions to ask your doctor
- discharge info – such as important questions to ask about going home and your ongoing recovery
- understanding hospital bills – who pays what and when (so you can avoid the dreaded bill shock)
- the support available to eligible members with Hospital cover through Teachers Healthcare Services, to help you navigate the healthcare system.
So whatever info you’re looking for around a hospital admission, our Hospital Guide is a great place to start. Don’t forget, not all the information may be relevant to your condition, treatment or recovery – that kind of detailed advice needs to come from your healthcare team.
And remember, if you have any questions about your cover just get in touch by phone or email. We’re your health fund.